Cape Columbine Lighthouse is situated on a prominent headland +/- 5km from the picturesque fishing village of Paternoster (“Our Father”), deriving its name from the heartfelt prayers of shipwrecked Portuguese sailors. The lighthouse, which is built on rising ground at Castle Rock and is usually the first lighthouse sighted by shipping coming from South America and Europe, is about 30 km from Vredenburg on the West Coast. The lighthouse was named after the barque Columbine which was wrecked there on 31 Mary 1829. It was one of the last manned lighthouses on the South African coast and offers interesting guided tours.
The reserve,more often referred to by locals as Tietiesbaai, covers an area of 263ha along the rocky stretch of coastline with numerous inlets and coves. This area was declared a nature reserve in December 1973. The vegetation of typical West Coast veld ranges from the well-known West Coast fynbos to succulent Karoo. Flowers start coming out in June already and start dwindling by September/October (rain dependent). The significant white boulders of Pink Granite, where great hump-shaped rocks crouch around little rocky bays, make this unspoiled gem one of the most beautiful beaches on the West Coast. The vast beach, washed by a fresh Atlantic Ocean can satisfy the enthusiastic kayaker in a safe paddling environment.

Visit the Graveyard of the ships. The coast is littered with the wrecks of the ships that have sunk. Local diving will take you on a wreck dive and give you the history of each wreck on our coast.

The Lisboa was a Portuguese twin screw steel steamship, built in 1910 in Glasgow and displacing 7459 tons. On 23 October 1910, while en route from Lobito, in Angola, to Cape Town and Maputo (Lourenço Marques), with 250 passengers and 50 crew aboard and carrying a cargo which included bulls and olive oil, the Lisboa ran aground on Soldiers Reef near Paternoster. The wreck of the Lisboa is particularly interesting because it was the first occasion on the South African coast on which radio telegraphy was used to summon help by a ship in distress.

The "Ismore" was a steam vessel of 5014 tons burden nett. Official No. 110575, belonging to Sir Edward Bates & Co., of Liverpool, but worked by the Johnston Line of steamers, with draught on leaving Liverpool of 22.4 feet forward and 24.2 feet aft. It appears that the "Ismore" sailed from Liverpool on the 6th November, 1899, for the Cape, as a troopship with about 231 officers and men of the 18th Hussars, the 63rd Battery of Artillery and a number of officers and men of the Royal Medical Army Corps, and was well found and equipped and fully manned. On the afternoon of the 6th November, 1899, the "Ismore" was compelled to put into Moelfre Bay on account of heavy weather, and remained there until Wednesday the 8th November, 1899, when the weather abating, she put to sea, but next day put into Milford Haven owing to sickness among the horses of which there were 350 on board. The "Ismore" left Milford Haven on Saturday the 11th November, 1899, for Las Palmas, and arrived on Thursday, the 16th November, 1899, and remained at the anchorage at Las Palmas until midnight 16th November, 1899, and then sailed direct for the Cape. All went well until 2.38 o'clock a.m. on 3rd December, 1899, when the "Ismore" struck on the Columbine Rocks and became a total wreck.

The SS Malmesbury was a British steel cargo vessel of 5,173 tons, built in 1928 by R. Duncan & Co, Port Glasgow and commanded by Captain Ellis. Wrecked just off the coast her on 9 September 1930 in fog while on her maiden voyage from Cardiff to Table Bay in ballast to load maize. She has been extensively worked on to remove her non-ferrous fittings. She was 123 metres long and 16 metres wide. The crew were rescued by the harbour tug Ludwig Wiener, under Captain Hewlett which was sent from Table Bay to Jacobs Bay. She arrived the following day and it was soon realised that the Malmesbury was hard aground. There was a heavy sea running and nine people drowned when one of the life boats was launched too hastily causing one of the davits to break.

Copyright © 2015 Tietiesdraai | Design © 2015 Lizit Graphics and Websites